Monday, April 30, 2007

Now I knit my ABCs - A is for Alpaca
































Araucania Atacama Alpaca, to be exact. This is color 501 - pinks and roses.

The yarn is hand dyed - resulting in awesome color variations. There are no dye lots - so it is recommended that you buy enough yarn to complete your project and do the "skein switch" (switch out different skeins every 4 - 6 rows) to avoid drastic color variations. The fiber content is 100% Chilean alpaca and comes in 50 g/110 yard skeins. The weight is worsted (light worsted I'd say) with a gauge of 18 sts/4" using needle #7US. For care hand wash and dry flat.

I got 2 skeins and I'm defiantly ignoring the skein switch recommendations (mostly because I hate weaving in more than I hate the idea of color inconsistencies).

I'm knitting a scarf - I started with a variation on the seed stitch - which probably has a "name" - I just don't know it. I've added a pretty intense cable series (over 24 stitches) - it's knitting up quickly, although it's becoming more and more obvious to me that all knitting needles need to be made of wood - the aluminum is just too slippery for this yarn.

No comments: