Tuesday, April 10, 2007

You gotta be a football basket...


...To get along with a cute little girl.

So Amy said, upon seeing a picture of Suzanne's Easter basket, "I wanna buy that one, tomorrow." The felted football basket. I'm quite proud of this creation - it's my first attempt (prototype, if you will) and not perfect - but it sure does look like a football - and that was my goal.

I used the basic "concept" of the easter basket, but, instead of a square base I made an oblong one. I picked up the stitches around the base and knit around until the length from the base was about 5 inches. I then began decreases (using psso) - to make the "points"; I did overstitching to make the "college stripes" and laces.

I was so nervous putting this one into the washer. First of all, it was the first basket to be felted after the washing machine was fixed - and I had no idea what was going to come out of the machine once the fibers had been fused.

But it turned out great - I did have a little trouble finding something to "shape" it with (as I could not - no really - I could not find a football in the house, anywhere) - and I might have, in retrospect, made the white stripes a little thinner - other than that - I was very pleased (almost giddy) with the final product.

No comments: