Monday, May 14, 2007

Now I knit my ABCs - C is for Cotton

I love knitting with cotton - I know that it goes wonky when it gets wet - and it can stretch out into strange shapes - but it's, basically, a washable natural fiber, that you can use to make just about any project. I've used cotton yarn to make: dishcloths (shock?); baby bibs; baby blankets; children's sweaters; bath mitts; hats; coasters; trivets/hotpads; and, so on.



My most current cotton project, however, has been giving me fits. I really like the yarn - Knit Picks Crayon, is a 100% Pima (stands for "Pain In My Ankle") Cotton, DK Weight, Machine washable yarn that comes in 128 yard/50 gram skeins. The project is "knit in the round" - and, even on the wooden needles, now that I have switched to the dpns - the yarn just keeps slipping off and, subsequently, dropping stitches. ARRRGGGGHHH. I need to use "point protectors" to keep the stitches from sliding.

But I'm hopeful -

No comments: