Friday, March 02, 2007

I'm a Kool Dyer

...no ordinary yarn, no ordinary yarn is gonna do - I need a fiber that's kool...

So sorry for the Grease 2 reference -

BUT, I've been dying wool with Kool-Aid. I've joined the craze of hand dyed yarn, and I'm hooked. I purchased the "raw" yarn from Knit Picks and I've been using various "flavors" to dye it. So far I've tried Blue Raspberry Lemonade (light teal); Black Cherry (deep salmon/rusty orange); Orange (orange!); and, a mixture of blue raspberry and grape (my hope had been a deeper purple/blue - but the result was purple - which is still cool).

The process is very easy - you just pre-soak/wash the yarn; mix the "color" with some water in a microwavable dish; put the yarn in the container and cover with water. Next you "zap" the yarn, in 2 minute intervals, until most of the color has been absorbed - the water will be almost clear. Finally you "wash" the yarn with mild soap and then dry. The color isn't uniform - but it's awesome. I have not yet tried "verrigating" the colors - but that's on the list.

I've dyed both worsted weight (going to see if the process survives felting) and lace weight (more dollhouse projects!) yarn.

photo is of felted Tropical Punch basket.

No comments: