Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Let's get it started!

Here is a blanket I did for my friend (well, for her baby, really). She had said, while expecting, that she wanted bright contrasting colors for the baby because such is supposed to stimulate brain activity.

So, I found the craziest pattern I could - I found it on the internet and I've seen it called by different names.

I did this one all in cotton = with contrasting solid and multi-colored yarns. Each striped block is made by decreasing in the middle so that the striped fold toward the center. It's an awesome result. The blocks are then sewn together into groups of four - it ends up looking like the log cabin quilting pattern - and the blocks of four are pieced together to make the blanket. For the baby blanket I pieced 3 blocks of four by 4 blocks of four.

I was so pleased with this project and my friend really appreciated it. Her daughter is now 1 year old and says that it's her (mom's and baby's) favorite blanket - just the right weight and because it's cotton - it washes up wonderfully. She says that she catches her daughter just studying the blanket and knows that her daughter is going to be smart because of it.

That's pretty high praise, but I'll take it! Unfortunately - it would seem that she (the baby) is growing so quickly that she's going to need a bigger blanket soon - maybe I should have them send it to me and I'll just add a couple rows.

ANYWAY - here's a picture... btw - in the pix they have it folded over so you see a bit of the "wrong side"...

No comments: